Rewrite this post

JOHNSTON, R.I. (WPRI) — Dozens of Johnston residents returned to an apartment complex Monday morning to survey the damage from a massive fire and collect what’s left of their belongings.

Crews responded to a fire at Simmons Village Apartments Sunday afternoon and found heavy fire and smoke coming from multiple units.

Town fire investigators said Monday it appears the fire started after a cigarette was discarded into some mulch.

Between 45 to 50 people have been displaced and firefighters are helping them get what they can out of their apartments.

Three people were brought to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and one firefighter was treated on scene.

12 News will have more details in a live report starting at 12 News at 4 p.m.

. Keep all images. Remove “and links” at the beginning

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *