A deadly fire at a New Bedford rooming house was caused accidentally and may be linked to a microwave or wall outlet, according to Chief Scott Kruger. Two people lost their lives and several were injured in the fire that broke out at Royal Crown Lodging. The fire started in Room 205 on the second floor in the back of the building. Officials were able to rule out all potential causes except an event involving a microwave or the wall outlet it was plugged into. State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey warns that appliances like microwaves and toasters should be plugged into walls directly and not be used if the device or the cord is damaged, and an electrician should be called if outlets are warm, discolored, or loose as these are signs that the outlet is not safe to use.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *